Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dana's Gift

This turnip was a gift from, Dana, at the garden center, which he gave me after pulling it out of the soil.  He wanted me to 'eat' this gorgeous turnip to show me that the fertilizer and compost he sells really helps to grow delicious vegetables.  He washed it off and handed it back to me, but Dana was surprised when I told him I wanted to 'paint' the turnip.  Once I explained I was and artist and would put the turnip in a still life to paint it before eating it, he understood.  By the way it was the best tasting turnip I have ever eaten!  And I love turnips! 

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Makes me want to grow turnips in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, Turnips are easy to grow you just need at least 14 inches of loose good soil, cool temperatures, and a sunny spot. If you don't want to wait for the turnips then you can eat the turnip green tops. Fresh from the garden turnips taste fantastic. We even saute them and use them in place of fried potatoes for breakfast. Dana told me that this variety of turnip is called 'Purple Globe Top". I am glad you like the painting.
      I am wondering where you purchased your dish drainer featured in your kitchen on your blog? Let me know.
      Yours in art,
      Pamela

      Delete
    2. I love the colors in this turnip and enjoyed reading how to grow them. Sauteed for breakfast? We often have broccoli for breaky so why not turnip!

      Delete
  2. Julie
    Thank you for your comment on my turnip painting. Somehow in my busy life I missed reading your kind comment. Thank you for taking your time to write. I really love your fractured oil paint application on your works of art.
    Have you had turnips for breakfast yet? They are also good sliced and added to the sandwich fixings of your choice.
    Yours in art,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete